It’s the last day of the year so that means it’s time to recap my sewing adventures from 2017. I probably should have split this into more than one post. I didn’t realize exactly how much I actually managed to sew until I was well into compiling this recap. Some items don’t have photos nor did some end up getting a blog post (until this one).
All in all, 2017 was ok but I didn’t get as much done was I had hoped in terms of historical sewing. I had planned on making at least one new Victorian gown. Still, I had some great makes and I also now have a whole weekend’s worth of Regency. My 2018 to sew list is very long. We’ll just have to see how it goes!
Without further ado….2017….
I tried to get better at knits and made three shirts from the Montlake Tee from Straight Stitch Designs.
I made two shirts from Simplicity 3852 as Christmas presents for my uncle. I have a photo from the one I made as a late 2016 present (I sewed it in January 2017) but I don’t have a picture of the one I made on time for 2017. Even worse, my uncle was at my house on Christmas morning! How missed getting a photo I’ll never know!
A patriotic pantsuit from Simplicity 5556 circa 1973.
Two more versions of Simplicity 1577 from 1956.
A groovy maxi dress from 70s era McCalls 5337.
A couple of bowties from a 1970s Kwik Sew pattern
Three different dresses / cosplays from McCalls 2276, an 80s does 20s pattern.
I made, but did not blog about, a titanic era day time outfit made from TVE 45 – 1911 Narrow Panel Blouse, TVE 30 – Narrow Panel Skirt and a remade church lady hat. While I successfully wore this outfit to a Titanic themed escape room, and while we successfully escaped the sinking ship before the time was up, this outfit has issues. I need to revisit and potentially remake it. I didn’t have enough time to let the fabric settle before hemming so fixing that would be a big improvement at the very least.
A Flamingo dress from Simplicity 4478 from 1962.
New daytime sleeves to take my purple Regency dress to half mourning.
A brand new Regency dress ensemble, including dress, shawl, reticule and fixed turban.
A Regency / 18th Century chemise and 18th Century petticoat. My stays were made by the very talented Anthony Canney / House of Canney.
A music dress from Simplicity 1427, View 2 from 1955.
This year’s robe from Simplicity 8510 from 1969.
A “science” housedress from a 1960s nightgown pattern — I don’t have the pattern number handy!
Wizard Robes for my mom!
Skirts for friends
I finally finished putting the finishing stitches on my Edwardian safari outfit. The majority of it was sewn and worn a few years ago but I never finished the jacket. I also wore another House of Canney creation — a proper S Curve Corset — for the 1st time.
I also remade my Mod Christmas Dress from 2016 into a mod Disney dress from Costume College.
Finally I made Christmas stockings for our new pup Ollivander and our first time Christmas visitor, my Uncle Ronnie. We had seven stockings on the rail this year! A Santa record!And that brings us to the end of 2017!
I wish you all the best and all the luck in 2018!